The granite column in the Ataturk square was erected by the Venetians in 1550. It used to bear the St. Mark Lion. The Ottomans removed the column and left it in the courtyard of the Sarayonu Mosque. The British re-erected the column in its present location in 1915. The grey granite column is thought to have been transported from a temple in Salamis. The insignia of six Italian families can be seen at the bottom of the column. The copper globe at the top is a later addition. The buildings to the West of the Ataturk Square (government buildings) were constructed during the British colonial rule in early 20th century. They therefore have a distinct look. There is a fountain and a platform with the insignia of Britain on the eastern side of the buildings. The platform was constructed to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. The governor of Cyprus announced the coronation from this platform.